[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Jul 17 09:14:51 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly writes:

> This also fits with my rather extensive experience admining PvP
> games. Shared struggle, even loss, can be quite fun.

To be clear, I believe in the shared struggle as well - even at a
loss.  The question is one of how great that loss can be, and how
much can players share the struggle when we can only control the
experience to a certain extent?  That is, the game has to make the
shared aspect very clear, as others have stated before.  I'm sure
we've all seen cases where the shared struggle has been a great
experience for all concerned - win or lose.  But can we say that we
know how to reliably present that experience to players?  Getting a
great experience once, having the expectation of repeating it and
being unable to do so can lead to frustration on the part of the
player.

Would Disneyland be as big a draw if some visits you were able to
enjoy the rides, but on other days they didn't work as well, so it
was a bit of a crapshoot as to whether you'd enjoy yourself?
Nitpicking aside (yes, rides are shut down occasionally), the
expectation of a visitor to Disney parks is that they'll have plenty
of fun stuff to do.  That they *will* have a lot of fun.

JB