RE: Réf. : RE: [MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM*** s

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Jul 17 09:14:54 CEST 2002

Daniel Harman writes:
> From: Yannick.Jean at csst.qc.ca [mailto:Yannick.Jean at csst.qc.ca]
>> From: Raph Koster

> I disagree intensely. When your recommendation is implemented, you
> end up with the Anarchy Online feel and a million players (ok
> thats optimistic...)  who don't talk to each other, or feel any
> real compulsion to do so. If people don't need to group to make
> progress, they won't - however easy you try to make forming a
> group, its always going to take longer than soloing.

Recall that we have a pretty ugly barrier to entry for socialization
- the inability to talk.  I don't know what Koreans use to talk to
each other, but I suspect that it's either painful to enter it as
text or they use English.  That is, their barrier may be greater
than in cultures that fit the ISO-LATIN 1 'culture'.

For the record, I think that forcing social interaction is silly,
but that there are a number of legitimate reasons that can be used
to naturally bring players into interaction.  If players are averse
to it, they'll skip it.  Most will interact because it is natural to
do so.  But again, the inability to speak is an unnatural barrier
which makes almost all interactions impossible to be 'natural to
do'.

JB