[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Jul 19 08:52:02 CEST 2002

On 7/16/02 7:45 AM, Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:

> No, the solution would not be to make it less significant, but to
> give the players more control. I.e. it would not be easy if at all
> possible, to get blown out of the sky withing seconds.  By
> focussing less on attrition of hitpoints, and more on skill and
> parry, then players have a lot of action to determine the outcome
> of a fight.

> Anybody here involved with the SCA, or otherwise skilled in the
> arts of sword fighting?

I've been involved with the SCA for over 20 years, though not with
fighting except as a spectator.  This influenced my suggestions a
few months ago that combat could be treated more like "fighting
games", where there are no levels at all--the outcome depends on the
actual skill of the player, not the character.

However, this also influences my opinion that combat should not be
the only option.  The richness of the SCA milieu results not from
the fact that recreating 14th century foot combat is terribly
interesting in and of to everyone--it's because there are countless
*other* ways to participate, "advance", and so on.  For example,
while I've never fought in a tourney, I've made costumes, cooked
feasts, taught classes, played live music for dancers, won awards
for calligraphy and illumination, and so on.

It would be pleasant to find an MMO game where the ability to enjoy
game content depended more on actual skill than on punching an xp
time clock.

Amanda Walker