[MUD-Dev] Are gratification-based (online) societies doomed to being immatu re?

jo at groupinfo.com jo at groupinfo.com
Fri Jul 19 10:36:16 CEST 2002

On 16 Jul 2002 at 22:16, Paul Boyle wrote:

> While the points it brings up are in part valid, I don't think
> that the point it esposes, that all higher level social
> interaction is founded on player conflict, is valid whatsoever.
> Isn't the idea behind human development, as a species, that we
> seek win/win situations, and that cultures that follow win/lose
> strategies, though potentially succesful in the short term, change
> or die in the long run?  For example, the Vikings, the Golden
> Horde, Nazi Germany, Sparta.

Well, the Vikings and Sparta had a run of several hundred years, at
least as long as more 'peaceful' cultures such as, say, Athens or
Venice. After all, every culture, win/win or win/ lose, changes or
dies in the long run. I'm not sure there are any cultures that don't
on a fairly frequent basis pursue a 'win/lose' strategy in one way
or another, come to think of it. Even peaceful countries that, say,
focus on trade are still aiming to get their trading competitors in
other countries to lose their shirts and bank balances.  It's
obvious there are cases where higher-level (by which, do you mean
between organisations?) interactions are not hostile, but by and
large they tend to be one organisation supporting another against
hostile actions by a third organisation ;) Personally I would love
to see a MUD that simulated something like the mediaeval Holy Roman
Empire; that glorious tangle of jurisdictions, political powers of
different levels and obscure laws and traditions could potentially
make for some /very/ interesting player-driven politics.

--

	Jo