[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Jul 19 11:29:56 CEST 2002

John Robert Arras writes:
> On Sat Jul 13, "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

>> I'm working on my own ideas in artificial intelligence in order
>> to address this very model and it's quite difficult.  It will
>> require a ton of processing power and it'll also require some
>> serious tools to 'design' people.

> I'm still not at the level of deep individual AI. My guess is that
> it isn't possible to have good AI for all creatures at all times,
> so it will be necessary to store personalities offline and then
> interact with an external AI/NLP module when individuals need to
> interact with players. I've been reading about "narrative
> intelligence" and "emergent narrative" to learn about how to
> construct the individuals in the context of a world, but it's
> still a long way off.

Interestingly, verbal interactions with NPCs is the one area that I
avoid.  I don't see it being done well, so I don't go there.  I want
players to talk to each other as players, with roleplayers talking
through their characters to each other.  But talking to NPCs is
fundamentally unappealling to me.  But best of luck with your
investigations.  :)

JB