[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

szii at sziisoft.com szii at sziisoft.com
Wed Jul 24 12:08:33 CEST 2002

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at ninjaneering.com>

> months after ship.  By that time, the people who had been playing
> since it first came out were so good for it that I had no chance.
> Death was near instantaneous, learning was impossible, and the
> game was quickly removed from my hard drive.

> What we witness with EQ and DAoC is _not_ the case of "llamas"
> that just "can't hack it".  PvP in EQ, UO and AC is unacceptably
> difficult to a large percentage of the player base, and easy to a
> small percentage.  DAoC's primary difference is that, since it was
> actually built for PvP and therefore has safe learning areas and
> is better balanced, moved that bar down to 'challenging'.

As with your CS experience, I entered into PvP late.  I started into
it well after people were established and the major divisions set.

I also started CS late....about 2 months ago, in fact.

The difference between us?  I'm willing to get in there and scrap,
even when it means losing.  You don't get better by quitting (CS,
EQ, chess, craps, etc).

I still play CS, and I still get worked....regularly.  I don't play
EQ anymore, but I started at the bottom of an established game and
fought my way upwards.

I have many friends that don't like PvP.  I don't think I'm "better"
than they are as pointed out by Paul Boyle ppboyle at centurytel.net

> It's funny, but you demonstrate pretty well a lot of the things
> anti-PvP players generally feel is stereotypical of PK.  The first
> is egotism.  Most anti-PvP players dislike PK's because of their
> 'I'm better than everyone else, so they can all rot' attitude.

Most PKs are scrappers.  They're tenacious.  Perhaps they look down
on people who aren't...people who give up too quickly/easily and
move on looking for easier food in a greener pasture.  That's not a
good thing, but I will agree with Paul that it happens.

It's not about that, though.  Peoples be peoples.  My wife can't
stand most PvP.  Do I look down on her?  I think not.  =)

You couldn't get good at CS quickly...so you quit.  To most pk-types
I know, that's kinda funny. *shrug* We don't really care whether you
play or not, except that you're missing out on a great game once you
achieve a certain level of play...regardless of the arena.  I could
state that 'Go' is hard, too.  It's an immensely challenging game
that you never really can master.  But once you get a feel for it,
it's great.

Perhaps it's best summed up by "PvP has a dramatically steeper curve
and tends to drive people away faster" than by any other analogy.

-Mike/Szii