[MUD-Dev] Boring Combat (was:Mass customization in MM***s)

Sean Kelly sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Thu Jul 25 11:21:45 CEST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]
>> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>>> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

>>> Perhaps forms could be something players crafted. Extrapolating,
>>> then one could consider the base components that forms are made
>>> up of when seeing if they counter each other. i.e. if you were
>>> using a self crafted for which gave you a 20% resist to
>>> knockdown (amongst other things - higher level forms could have
>>> more components), and they tried to use a form which gives a 20%
>>> bonus to knockdown, then they'd nullify.

>> Hmm, random thread convergence.  I don't really know how to go
>> about this, because you can't easily cancel techniques if people
>> are just making them up.

> Well I meant the techniques to come out of a dictionary that the
> developer created. The forms however would be groups of techniques
> combined in various fashions. These could then be researched and
> developed by players.

Random thought: this reminds me a lot of that old unix game, Robot
Wars, where you code your robot and have it fight others.  It's
abasically a battle of the best AI.  I imagine a similar thing could
be done for player combat.  Give the player a set of actions as well
as a bunch of default attacks and defenses using this library of
actions, but give the player the ability to code new ones using the
same library.

Sean