[MUD-Dev] A question of PvP and PK

Adam ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Jul 31 03:32:44 CEST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

> You couldn't get good at CS quickly...so you quit.  To most
> pk-types I know, that's kinda funny. *shrug* We don't really care
> whether you play or not, except that you're missing out on a great
> game once you achieve a certain level of play...regardless of the
> arena.  I could state that 'Go' is hard, too.  It's an immensely
> challenging game that you never really can master.  But once you
> get a feel for it, it's great.

For a set of interesting reasonably short (and quite fun) articles
this, see (in order of decreasing direc relevance):

    http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlaytoWinPart0.htm

Snippet:

  "Some may be wondering why this site about game design includes a
  section on playing competitive games. Here you go:

  One cannot hope to design a hugely successful competitive game if
  one is ignorant of how such games are played at the highest level.

  It's that simple."

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Snippet:

  "In the world of Street Fighter competition, we have a word for
  players who aren't good: "scrub." Now, everyone begins as a
  scrub--it takes time to learn the game to get to a point where you
  know what you're doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that
  by merely continuing to play or "learn" the game, that one can
  become a top player. In reality, the "scrub" has many more mental
  obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the
  game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts."

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart2.htm

Snippet:

  "I found Survivor to be a huge, blazing advertisement for "playing
  to win." The community on that island so closely mirrored my
  Street Fighter community that I was shocked. There was one expert
  player and 15 "scrubs." Richard Hatch, the winner of Survivor, was
  the only participant who really even played the game at all."

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_AoW3-Deception.htm
http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_AoW1-SheathedSword.htm

Snippet:

  "To further drive home the two points we've covered from The Art
  of War (win before the fight begins, and wait for the opponent to
  beat himself), I'll now tell the story of one of my own Street
  Fighter tournament victories. The tournament was called the East
  Coast Championships 4, or ECC4. I had won the Street Fighter
  Alpha2 portion of the ECC3 tournament, so I felt a lot of pressure
  to win again."

(And one about how Sun Tzu can be applied to the commercial aspects
of game development :). You have to credit the author with being
consistent in his homage to ST :)

  http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_AoW2-SheathedSwordRevisited.htm