[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Anderson Anderson
Wed Jul 31 15:52:58 CEST 2002

From: Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu

> Something I toyed with for a while was probabilistic damage.  I
> won't vouch for the sanity of the idea, but it accomplished
> certain odd goals. It is more or less an extreme spin on the
> already existing variability in hits (variable hit points, "to-hit
> rolls" and the like. I got started on it as part of a bigger
> project to get rid of problems like the death of a thousand paper
> cuts.

I've seen something similar before, basically HP were changed to
something like "luck wearing out", don't remember exactly how they
explained it.  Something about exhaustion and how you'll eventually
get unlucky.  Then skills would compare, and it'd reduce your luck,
eventually you'd get hit and die.  It could be done with normal
weapons, changing their messages to "barely misses you" etc, but
still reduce hp (now luck).  When hp runs out, make a final swipe
that you can't dodge, and you die.

Dave