[MUD-Dev] web-based MUD editing tools?

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Wed Jul 31 15:57:57 CEST 2002

"Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com>:

> MUDs are often programmed by editing local files on the mudhost,
> like lpmud *.c files and so forth.  Giving wizards easy remote
> access to such files without giving them carte blanche over the
> mud server is a challenge.  Has anyone met that challenge using
> web-based editing tools?  Like, you fire up a webpage that points
> at the mud, you manipulate files from that web interface, and hey
> presto the mud gets changed?  Seems like someone somewhere would
> have done something more feature-laden and cross-platform than the
> telnet drill by now.

Our games are all created via a web based interface, jokingly called
the "Tree of Woe". In it you can edit objects in 3 modes, a forms
based interface, and XML interface, and an abbreviated interface for
just editing descriptions called KarMode.

There are some screen shots of it at

  http://www.skotos.net/articles/TTnT_61.shtml

Typically the only thing done in the text interface is spawning the
objects, possibly modifying some properties that make a child object
unique, and placing the object in the game once it is tested.

The latest addition to our interface is linking it closer with the
text interface. Our clients (Java, ActiveX, and Mozilla/Javascript)
all support opening arbitrary web pages, so now you can do things
type "+tool woe edit %SkotOS:object:name" and it will open that
object in a web page for editing.  +tool also has some cool
web-based viewers for our LPC-sandboxed language we call Merry, our
scripting language called Bilbo, which will color-code the output
making it easier to find some mistakes.

-- Christopher Allen