[MUD-Dev] No bots allowed

Marc Hernandez marc at eisoftware.com
Thu Mar 14 00:07:23 CET 2002

From: "Colin Coghill" <C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz>

> Something I've been pondering that I think is fairly relevant here
> is, in a skill based system, the idea that while you might have a
> skill for "hitting things with sword", you would also have a skill
> for "fighting orcs" and a seperate skill for "fighting humans".

> This leads to being better at fighting some things and worse at
> others.

> Fleshed out, in a combat you might have the following skills come
> into play:

>   Basic Fighting
>   Sword Fighting
>   Longsword
>   Fighting Humanoids
>   Fighting Orcs
>   Fighting Dark Orcs
>
> Obviously you want some formula for combining these into one
> roll. Skill ranking could be done by increasing the skills you

I have thought of factoring skills into subskills.

So for skills one would have:

  * Raw values.  Possibly constant over gameplay
    Dexterity upper arm.
    Dexterity lower arm.
    Dexterity hand.

  * Book knowledge
    Knowledge Humanoid
      - Knowledge Orcs
      - Knowledge Humans
    Knowledge Dragons.

  * Muscle Memory
    Knowledge Bulky Weapon
      - Knowledge Hammer
      - Knowledge Axe (related to Knowledge Hammer)
    Knowledge Rapier

Thus a blacksmith would have a lot of Knowledge hammer and has a bit
of humanoid knowledge (from her human heritage).  So she can pickup
an Axe and use it to great effect on an Orc.

Much of this is from reading the various skill web/tree discussions
on the awsome archives for Mud-Dev.

--
marc hernandez
Working but not speaking for Oddworld.