[MUD-Dev] Question about copyovers.

Tand'a-ur tandaur at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 14 12:51:35 CEST 2002

"Anderson, David" wrote:

> Someone mentioned some good points about copying in new code into
> a already running Java mud.

>   What if I wanted to replicate C mud's copyover code?  I was
>   trying to think of a good way to do it the other day.

> Basically, you need to keep your vector of Sockets (the users who
> are still connected, I have a big vector of sockets basically) and
> completely startup a new copy of your mud, and somehow copy those
> sockets over to your new running mud.  Anyone know how to do this?

You write the descriptor numbers and other info like player names
into a file and then you run the mud again with some option that
tells the mud to look for that file and load up the players from it.
Then the old instance of the mud is ended.

This is roughly how they do it in diku derivs, you can dl the code
from it off the internet and see how they do it. Maybe that will
give you a better idea on how to do it than my rough description of
it.

Mike