[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

Tand'a-ur tandaur at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 14 13:15:56 CEST 2002

I've been watching this thread for a while because I recently made
my own mock ecology from resets. It seems most people want really
heavy simulation by keeping track of different things like food,
current population etc.

As most of you know, you can make a very complex and cool system and
the players might not know the differenace between that and a very
heavily faked system.  So I took the route of faking it.

The mud i have is a sci fi mud so the "areas" are really planets,
and each planet has its own type like Gia, terran, frozen, etc.
Each planet has a wildlife pool which is basically the avaliable
amount of mob units that can be loaded.

Each planet has a maximum wildlife pool and a regeneration rate
based upon the planet type, current wildlife pool and the map
size. (i replaced almost all rooms with one room with coordinates to
be a map you walk around on)

When you walk the mud checks the terrain and decides if it should
load a random encounter. This is based on terrain, some random
percentage, and current wildlife pool. When something is loaded then
it removes x amount from the wildlife pool based on mob type. There
is a minimum value for the pool that if it drops below it wont load
anything so it is harder to clear out all the mobs. Basically that
simulates there is so little population it is impossible to find
them.

The random encounters also gives me the option of loading mini
events near the character like some thieves attacking a woman or
whatever.

Basically the whole point of this rambling email is you can create
something that is not very complex using existing variables which
will appear pretty much the same to the players as something which
is very complex and took up 10x more of your time.

I know my system isnt perfect but hopefully it can get some people
thinking about what they want to do or get new ideas.