[MUD-Dev] Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility [was Boredom]

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat May 25 23:45:21 CEST 2002

From: "Ron Gabbard" <rgabbard at swbell.net>

> While the downward sloping line will have a different shape for
> each person, it's a fact that every player's line slopes downward
> and that they have a horizontal line on this graph that represents
> the level of utility of other options for the use of their leisure
> time. The player will leave the game when the utility received
> from playing a particular MUD falls below that line.

And let's also not forget that the level of utility for other
options is an UPWARD sloping line -- because there is a constant R&D
effort directed at creating new, bigger, and better games. So even
if you don't lose interest in the current game, you will eventually
and inevitably become more interested in something else. (I'm
undergoing this myself, since I've been heavily involved in the Tony
Hawk's Pro Skater community for almost three years, and I've got to
admit that I'm actually more interested in "Star Wars: Galaxies"
than I am in the coming release of THPS4 this November.)