[MUD-Dev] What keeps people interested in social muds?

Rudy Fink rudyfink at owlnet.rice.edu
Wed May 29 03:53:25 CEST 2002

Martin C. Martin wrote:

> I'm heading up a project that's a new way to socialize online.
> It's essentially a 3D virtual nightclub with streaming audio,
> dancing, chat, etc.  (If you're curious: http://www.esconline.org
> )

This looks very interesting.  I'll have to find my copy of Unreal T
now ><.

>From the documentation on the website this looks very similar to a
project I worked on a few years ago.  We were using Quake2 along
with a custom windows client for additional networking and services
(secure purchasing,etc).  Our main focus was on museums, building
prototyping, and city services, but one of the architects working
with us made a club.

I mention this because I was curious how or what you did for
handling emotions.  This was the most difficult troubling for us
outside of limited controls over models.  All we were able to end up
with in the time allotted was various iconography (users looking at
you would see graphics ie smileys, and you could float them above
your head) and color shells (users could flash different colored
shells with sounds as a more public display).

In my experience people continue to come back to muds for community
participation and personal objectives.  In my opinion, community and
objectives can end up very intertwined in the minds of players to
the point they are often inseprable.

>From my experience users seem to prefer muds because it provides a
platform of something to do outside of chat.  Some have noted a
lower barrier to entry to community in muds than irc.  I guess the
analogy would be similar to joining a pick up sports team/game
instead of showing up alone to a pub you've never been in.