[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Windows Telnet capabilities

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 09:27:26 CET 2002

On 30 October 2002, Arnau Rosselló Castelló wrote:

> I'm thinking on making a simple LPC(with DGD) windowing system
> over telnet.  I know i can do it with an xterm, but the important
> telnet client is the default on windows, and i think they are very
> limited in capabilities.

> Can somebody point me where i can find the capabilities of the
> telnet client that comes with win95/98 and the one that comes with
> win2k/xp ?  I'd like to know also all the nonstandard
> "features"(or misfeatures) they have.

As far as I can tell, Windows 2000 and Windows XP telnet clients are
almost feature-complete, and apart from bundling in Lan-Man
authentication, they seem to be compiles of the standard gnu-type
Telnet (I'm sure they are not, but they DO look and act similar)

However, Win9x and WinNT telnet clients are nigh-on useless, and I
wouldn't even consider trying to support them.

If you do manage to find a tech doc on what the Microsoft
implementations can and cannot do, then I'd very much like to take a
look at it, as my own MUD efforts are designed to be totally
compatible with MS Telnet (the worlds lowest common denominator
client).

- MattOwen