[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Fri Nov 1 11:36:47 CET 2002

Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> writes:

> First, it's not a choice between "newbie peerage" vs "twink play"
> (nice rhetoric though).

In a gameworld it's rather difficult to avoid. Although, it can be
quite nice to be in a newbie team with a "master" mentor.

> Second, I've played MUDs nearly every day for 11 years, and ran a
> successful one for the last 5 years. It's not at all obvious to
> me.

Well, I am not going to make a list.

> All meaningful interaction is between players pretending to be
> someone else. It's still between the players.

Then you don't need a world.

>> Power... is a rather engulfing concept that stretch far beyond
>> threadmills...

> And if you use power in the broader senses, a level playing field
> is impossible, so why bother discussing it? Everyone is going to
> have different levels of power of persuasion for instance, and
> there's nothing you can do about that aside from removing all
> interaction.

Huh? Restructuring the world and having a surge of newbies will
change the setting and hopefully "destabilize the power bases".

?

> The idea that all the other players move to that continent is a
> bit wacky though. We introduce new areas all the time, and players
> don't move there. That doesn't even make sense from a human
> behavior perspective. Most people do not go live on the frontier,
> away from public services, familiarity, and relative safety.

Well, if they don't spend time there...

> He didn't say you do. He said people do, and they do. We get lots
> of players who leave to go check out the latest graphical
> MUD. Many of them come back a couple months later, because Achaea
> is their home.

Matt, not to belittle your achievements, but Achaea doesn't have
lots of players... Some people do. And I assume a small tight and
stable community and unique world helps in that respect.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/