[Meta] Re: [MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Koster Koster
Sat Nov 2 05:43:02 CET 2002

From: Ted L. Chen

> On the other hand, why worry too much about it?  It takes us all
> approximately ten years to be reasonably proficient at words to
> write a rambling diatribe like I just did above.  One to three of
> which were spent just learning how to use the base letters.  Why
> do we expect people to create graphical representations of towns
> overnight without learning the basic principles of 3d geometry?

Our brains appear to be wired for language in ways they are not
wired for 3d modeling, and we start our training in interpreting and
scribing linguistic symbols at a very young age. There are a lot of
people who can't grok 3d modeling. The basic interface of a 3d
modeling tool is plain old difficult for most people. Lastly, to
actually do it even remotely well requires a degree of talent.

So I would say that the situation isn't quite as you phrase it. It
isn't so much an expectation that people should be able to create
graphical representations of towns, as an expectation that people
would like to make their desks look different. And while they WOULD
like to do so, they also are often content with merely making the
room as a whole around the desk look different.

Lowering the barrier to entry to 3d modeling is a worthwhile
goal. You might want to check out Linden Labs' work with SECOND
LIFE, they've recently made some announcements on that front. But at
the same time, there hasn't even been a 3d graphics attempt yet at
emulating what Furcadia and UO and other tile-based systems supplied
in terms of object manipulation. For some reason, everyone thinks
that jumping to 3d modeling is the answer. Players would, I suspect,
be very happy just to get the ability to assemble building blocks
first.

To see what I mean, look at the lengths players will go to in order
to add a grand piano to UO, which shipped without one.

  http://uo.stratics.com/homes/decorations/Piano.shtml

-Raph