[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Sat Nov 2 14:27:35 CET 2002

From: "shren" <shren at io.com>

>   First off.  My objective is to keep someone from winning
>   (conquering the whole world), not to keep someone from losing
>   (losing all provinces).  I don't mind Omega getting it's ass
>   kicked right off the map, out of it's home, chased across the
>   map, whatever.  I mind Alpha killing everyone and ruling the map
>   for the rest of eternity.  If Alpha wants to take Omega's land,
>   absorb his empire, and crush Omega's capital under his heel,
>   that's fine with me.  I just see it as important to prevent
>   Alpha from doing that to everyone, thus, the limitation on the
>   productiveness of territory.

>   Second.  I like interesting tectical situations.  If Alpha has
>   an unbeatable, stable home, and Omega has an unbeatable, stable
>   home, then in the long run the 'story' has all of the dynamicism
>   of a TV sitcom.  Nothing ever really changes.

On the other hand, if Alpha can crush Omega under their bootheels,
why will Omega continue to log in and play?  This is the potential
trap of "meaningful PvP", when it is no longer possible for the
losers to have fun while and after losing.  Although the rise of
empires is fun, their fall is not.

--Dave