[MUD-Dev] PKing minors

Justyn caggeyder at usa.net
Sat Nov 2 16:37:17 CET 2002

shren wrote

> Doesn't deal with the fundamental issue of an enviornment where
> kids and adults compete as equals.  For instance, say I'm walking
> down the street, I see a bunch of 7 year olds playing football,
> and I join the game.

I don't feel terribly warped. I've been mudding in a pk environment
since I was 12ish. In terms of graphical violence, I've been doing
that since Doom first came out for the PC. Competing with adults in
a pk environment really didn't mess with my head, though one could
argue that because it was only text based it didn't have the same
effect on me. However, do you really think of yourself as the
collection of pixels you see on your screen any more than you think
of yourself as the collection of words and stats that appear on your
screen on a text based mud?

As far as the example of 7 year olds playing football, there's a
difference between psychological attack and physical violence. If
you jump in and start tackling 7 year olds, you're more than likely
to crush them under you, possibly killing them or seriously injuring
them. You can't do actual harm to a 7 year old who's pking against
you, and in some cases, that seven year old will beat you no matter
how old you are. I know when I was 13ish, and had been mudding in a
pk environment for a year, I could definitely beat people quite a
bit older than I.

The only way I can see any kind of psychological damage coming from
such a game would be the taunts, however, most kids I've seen gaming
can give just as good as they get as far as that goes, and most
mature adults refrain from such things. Generally an adult won't
mock people they've beaten in combat, so as far as that goes you've
probably got to worry more about children mocking younger
children. Even when I was a kid, if I knew someone was younger than
me, I'd generally go easy on them, not necessarily in combat, but in
what I'd do to try to get them to come out, and what I'd say after
I'd beaten them/been beaten by them.

- J