[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

shren shren at io.com
Mon Nov 4 08:58:32 CET 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: "shren" <shren at io.com>

>>   First off.  My objective is to keep someone from winning
>>   (conquering the whole world), not to keep someone from losing
>>   (losing all provinces).  I don't mind Omega getting it's ass
>>   kicked right off the map, out of it's home, chased across the
>>   map, whatever.  I mind Alpha killing everyone and ruling the
>>   map for the rest of eternity.  If Alpha wants to take Omega's
>>   land, absorb his empire, and crush Omega's capital under his
>>   heel, that's fine with me.  I just see it as important to
>>   prevent Alpha from doing that to everyone, thus, the limitation
>>   on the productiveness of territory.

>>   Second.  I like interesting tectical situations.  If Alpha has
>>   an unbeatable, stable home, and Omega has an unbeatable, stable
>>   home, then in the long run the 'story' has all of the
>>   dynamicism of a TV sitcom.  Nothing ever really changes.

> On the other hand, if Alpha can crush Omega under their bootheels,
> why will Omega continue to log in and play?  This is the potential
> trap of "meaningful PvP", when it is no longer possible for the
> losers to have fun while and after losing.  Although the rise of
> empires is fun, their fall is not.

I could rest comfortably knowing that while Alpha can crush Omega
under his heel, doing so will expand Aplha's empire, making Alpha a
large, inefficient empire that will very likely reap what they sow
in a world of small, agile predators.

I also find it unlikely that Alpha will completely crush Omega.
Surely every piece of Omega's territory isn't worth having, and
Omega can always migrate elsewhere with the survivors.