[MUD-Dev] Economic Indices for Virtual Worlds

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Mon Nov 11 22:02:03 CET 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

> Browsing Ed Castronova's page, i came across this:

>   http://business.fullerton.edu/ecastronova/economic_data.htm

> I used to track UO's economy by measuring the US Dollar <->
> Britannian Gold Piece exchange rate via eBay, just as he
> does. Once upon a time, it was steady for two straight years at
> 400gp to the $... too bad we don't have all that historical data
> anymore. Does eBay keep records of old auctions?  >

I informally track EQ platinum and I certainly have seen a lower
price this year.  A 10k lot was going for $100 or higher three years
ago.  Now the same size lot goes for $70 on Eci and $45 on Vallon
Zek.

Ebay used to be a great place for doing dollars to EQ plats to items
studies, but now it is worthless.  Playerauctions is a good place
but the market is fairly thin.  It might be worthwhile to build an
agent that goes through Playerauctions and gathers the economic
data. I think it would be fun to have a block on my page that had
access to the data and could display daily exchange rates for the
virtual economies.

frank