[MUD-Dev] Real money and virtual worlds

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Wed Nov 13 01:42:21 CET 2002

At 09:43 PM 11/12/2002 -0800, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Yeah, it's inevitable. But look at the minefield that it is! This
> is about Project Entropia, which allows conversion of real eorld
> cash into in-game money--and back again. When I first heard of
> this project, my first thought was "money laundering." Others,
> including the authors of the summary I am about to post, thought
> "Ponzi scheme." Instead, it turns out it's actually "great place
> to engage in credit card fraud."

When I see the "...and back into real money" part I cant help but
think "Oh to be the first guy to find the ever present dupe bug."

And a thought from the other end of the field.

I saw something today about the states agreeing on internet
taxation.  How long until the IRS, Federal Govt, perhaps even
Microsoft or some other nafarious organization comes and trys to get
the cut they think they deserve from your ingame dealings?