[MUD-Dev] FEAR Animat style AI for Quake 2

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sun Nov 24 15:17:55 CET 2002

FEAR (Flexible Embedded Agent aRchitecture) is an Open Source
project that is an AI based on animat or the AI of virtual
creatures.  They have implemented a library, development kit, and an
interface to Quake 2.  According to the developers,

  "When you implement your bots within FEAR, they no longer remain
  limited to a specific game. Then can be imported AS-IS within ANY
  game. How's that for portability!! Not even a recompilation is
  needed! All you have to do is expand our base 'Brain' class, and
  respect a few simple conventions, and you're in business :)"

If you want to read more or download their software, goto
http://fear.sourceforge.net/.  I have also added an article about
the project and a weblink at maddog world 6th edition
http://www.maddog.com and have a game AI section in the web links.

If anyone tries the software out, I would be interested in hearing
how well it works.  Or post a followup comment to the article at
maddog.

frank

--
Discharge status: alive but without permission