[MUD-Dev] Point of Purchase "Cards" for Online Services

Ron Gabbard rgabbard at swbell.net
Sat Nov 30 09:01:28 CET 2002

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at ninjaneering.com>
> From: Christopher Allen

>>    - Are they mostly sold to the people who are using the
>>    service, or as gifts?

> The primary purpose of these cards is to allow players who don't
> have access to a credit card (i.e. kids) a way to pay their
> monthly fee.

That's the primary use in the US where credit card penetration
amongst adults is very high.  Outside of the US, the prepay model is
extremely popular and is pretty much the standard in many countries.
I worked with a number of international ISPs in Europe, the Middle
East, and Africa setting up their billing models and software and
very few of them were heavily into the recurring credit card model.

I've always thought that online gaming companies were missing a
golden opportunity to pick up a substantial new player base by not
offering more prepay opportunities through local distribution
channels for non-US customers.

Cheers,

Ron