[MUD-Dev] UO Advanced Character Service

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Sep 23 04:58:26 CEST 2002

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Saturday, September 21, 2002, at 03:26  PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I'd agree with this. UO is out-and-out selling advancement, which
>> is something we, for instance, have always resisted doing,
>> because it can alienate too many people.

> Well, if a game allows buying and selling of characters and
> in-game assets on eBay, I don't really see how it could be worse
> to offer a set of standard pre-advanced characters.  The game
> publisher gets more revenue, and the buyer has less risk that the
> character they just bought will be cancelled or invalidated.

Ahh, I was under the impression that UO opposed that practice.

>> Players seem to accept selling -tools- that make it slightly
>> easier to advance, as opposed to just selling the advancement
>> itself. It's the difference between selling a golf championship
>> and selling golf clubs that MAY help you win that championship.

> I don't know that that's a good analogy.  On the flip side,
> perhaps it's more like allowing people to fly first class by
> either accumulating 50,000 air miles and getting a free ticket or
> by paying a higher price to just buy a first-class ticket in the
> first place.

It's probably somewhere in between. Your analogy may be closer
really, but it doesn't take into account the fact that players look
at individual advancement as an implicit competition with other
players. Mine probably assumes too much competition among too many
players.

--matt