[MUD-Dev] Reputation systems: a possible path for investigation

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Aug 13 21:59:38 CEST 2003

According to Andrew L. Tepper:

> Both systems are things that players will want to game
> (manipulate). We use an algorithm in A Tale in the Desert which
> has this property, and is game-resistant. It's described here:

It's not 100% resistant, but close. Let's say 98% resistant :)

There was recently an "event", set to have people pass one of
ATITD's "Tests". Namely, using this scoring system, you have a 128
"reserve", but to pass, you need a 140 score.

The event I'm referring to had 23 characters (some of them, but not
all, played by the same peoples) managing games, so that, in the
end, 8 people achieved the score of 140 required to pass the test.

So the result is sort of gameable. It's just rather expensive to do,
as all of the 23 accounts must be paid accounts to allow the 8 to
pass.

This event is a bit obsolete, though. The original problem behind
the scoring system is that it was hard (on a very large map, 1600
total accounts, spread over a map that requires you to run for
five-six hours to cross the world, under the best circumstances) to
find opponent. The new matching system, the "Spirit Arena" allows
you to meet a wider variety of opponents, and probably reduce the
amount of "thrown games" overall.

Well, in ATITD, we still have more people ranked in Conflict than in
Thought (gratuitous poke) :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)