[MUD-Dev] Payment Transaction Processing

Jason Smith jsmith at gold-sonata.com
Thu Dec 4 18:21:59 CET 2003

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 13:54, altug wrote:

>> I am collecting some info on Payment Transmisson Processing and
>> Billing Services for MMPOG and other online gaming services. I
>> heard of PayPal and some others. However, I have no clear idea on
>> what their services include or under what conditions they provide
>> these services. Could anyone share his/her knowledge about or
>> experience with billing services? Which services would you
>> recommend and why?...

> Using the PayPal services API, you can automate most of this, so
> you don't have to worry about things like users having to tell you
> their PayPal account or anything.

One caution about PayPal - when using it as the means for
non-physical goods transactions (ie, as a payment processor for a
subscription service) at any time a subscriber can retroactively
cancel all previous payments, with very little recourse available to
the service provider. This was one major reason why Jumpgate
switched from using a purely PayPal payment method to the
PayByCash-provided systems. There was simply no guarantee that a
user wouldn't simply cancel and reclaim all their past payments, and
that's quite a bit of risk (especially for a small company).

We've had nothing but positive experiences with PayByCash though,
they provide a good level of service and will assist in billing
integration. They also have a fairly wide array of payment methods,
though there is a premium on non-credit-card payments that players
may not like so much.

-Jason "Virgil" Smith