[MUD-Dev] First Everquest Server Closure?

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Fri Dec 5 09:58:34 CET 2003

According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:
> From: Harman, Daniel: IT (LDN)

>> I was chatting to a friend in Everquest last night, and he
>> mentioned that the Korean server was being closed down. I can't
>> find anything about it on the web, but if the report is accurate
>> this is the first EQ server to close.

> Did it never really take off in Korea then?

I suspect a case of "too late".

The European localized servers from Ubisoft suffered of this. Most
of the EQ target market has been captured already - a french gaming
journal recently said of EQ that it was (paraphrased) "a nice game,
but now too established and old to be recommended".

The french, german, and "general european" servers were initially
launched with an option to start 3 more (one for each langage) as
they filled. Instead, they were barely saved by an offer to transfer
free of charge your characters there, followed by an advance offer
to transfer characters for a fee with all their equipment (this is
now available for all transfer servers, except ironically within the
european servers).

Even with that, those servers remain the emptiest of all EQ servers.
There are some newcomers arriving that are starting to play EQ now,
like all servers, but the server is populated by a rather large
majority of "oldtimers" who played EQ well before there were euro
servers. I even tend to agree with the analysis, I would not
recommend Everquest to people in Europe, as they would start in a
relative emptiness, and have a hard time finding any players to
adventure with.

The Korean server did not benefit from this type of offer. In fact,
if my memory's right, it ran a completely different version of EQ,
one that was limited to the Kunark and Velious expansion so far
(there have been 4 more expansions since).

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)