[MUD-Dev] Thought Experiment: Permanent Monster Death

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Thu Dec 11 23:58:17 CET 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Brent P. Newhall wrote:

> Might this not create a game in which individual monsters are much
> more powerful -- thus requiring a lot of team co-operation to kill
> -- but less common?

> How might this affect the "levelling treadmill?"

Without weaker mobs to practice on, how do players work themselves
up to the level of ability (players themselves, not just their
avatars) where they are ready to participate in a battle against one
of these unique incredibly tough mobs? (Reminds me of the time on
Three Kingdoms when 80 players or so partied to take down Tiamat)

I mean, if you are implementing perma-death for mobs, it is only
fair that some sort of massive limitation on deaths is in place for
players - thus, PK is not a viable option for developing combat
skills.

The only other option I can think of is training mobs and non-lethal
combat, but that is apt to become incredibly boring as well - likely
more rapidly than your standard issue level treadmill, ne?

--
Ammon Lauritzen
http://simud.org/