[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 7

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Thu Dec 11 22:35:53 CET 2003

From: "Chanur Silvarian" <chanur at guildsite.com>

> As far as the loot, again, not absolute randomness.  The cook
> drops items of level X power.  Whether you use a list or some
> other generation mechanism to figure out which item is irrelevant,
> just that it is of approximate power X. The king on the other hand
> drops things of power level Y.

> The thing you never want happening is for people to camp the king
> because they know that he drops a certain item.  The power level
> of the items he drops should be comparable, but there should never
> be a specific Uber Item that you know can be gained from him.

Doesn't this encourage camping? You find a monster that you know you
can kill, that drops random items of power level Y. You just camp
it, and eventually collect all the items of power level Y that you'd
need. I've found that random drops encourage this camping
behavior. The benefit from random drops is that each player/set of
players can camp at a different monster of power level Y to get a
full set of power level Y equipment, so there's less competition for
specific camps, not less camping behavior going on. A bit of a
subtle point, but one that I see missed quite often.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com