[MUD-Dev] The Skaff Effect

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Tue Dec 16 05:58:38 CET 2003

From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

((snip post about Skaff effect by Jim Butler))

Jim Butler is a smart man, and I have myself noticed this effect
without knowing the name for it. I wander off, play another game a
bit, and then return to the good old faithful.

I think he's missing some points, like fond memories of the old
game, friends who plays and comfortable environment .. ie. you know
your way around ilke your own pocket.

  East, west, home is best.

I guess in street speak it would be called going back to your roots
and haunt your old stomping ground. Perhaps what we are seeing with
people who return to games they had forsworn, has roots in something
even more basic. Y'know, as basic as the birds going south when
winter comes.

I do agree with him, that new games reinforce old games IF the old
game developers are awake and have at least some funding support. I
wonder what will happen when one of the old big ones get a sucessor
?

Will the sucessor fall flat and become material to be assimilated by
the great big old one ? Or will the old one flop on it's back and
feed the new prodigy ?  And what about cross-genres assimilation ?

I guess time will tell.

----
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)