Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Feb 3 15:54:49 CET 2003

From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>
> From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock [mailto:caliban at darklock.com]

>> I'd have to agree here. One of the major things I'm concerned
>> with is the ability of a player to take skill learned playing one
>> character, and apply it immediately to another character -- not
>> by handing the character free stuff, but by making the
>> *knowledge* of how to play more important than the actual time
>> spent playing. Very few games currently do this.

> Actually I don't agree. If you want to level fast in the current
> crop of games, the key information is knowing the best place to do
> it.

That's not how to play, it's where to play, and I consider it
evidence of a flaw in the system. There shouldn't BE "good
places". There should be good *ways*, and places where those ways
work. Unfortunately, we only have one good way to level these days
-- kill things -- so you have to go someplace where there are good
things to kill.

> That's something I really dislike when I start a new game, I could
> literally wander for days looking for a good place to level, its
> also why I can log into everquest and get a new character up to a
> decent level orders of magnitude faster than a true newbie.

And that's exactly why I think it's a stupid way to design a
game. If you logged into a game exactly like Everquest but on a
different worldmap, would you be able to level faster? Probably not
-- you'd have to wander for days looking for a good place. That's
not player skill, it's player knowledge, and it's entirely the wrong
direction to take things.