[MUD-Dev] Greetings from Habbo Hotel

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Feb 4 02:41:54 CET 2003

According to Matt Mihaly:

> as you are, of course, but if we actually counted like you do, we
> could brag that we have at least 50,000 players, or 10% the size
> of Everquest approximately. That is, of course, a complete load of
> crap. We peak at about 400 simultaneous players online
> currently. Everquest peaks at what, 70,000 or so?

SOE recently announced they broke the 110,000 simultaneous on-line
players.

Of course, that number is slightly distorted by the bazaar feature,
in which characters go AFK (away from keyboard) while being in
vendor mode (there being no player vendors like UO. Rather, the
player *is* the vendor, and must remain on-line in an automated
sell-mode).

I haven't seen any announcement that they broke 500,000 active
accounts, something that would probably have been much publicized,
so I assume they're still short of that.

> Counting registered players is a silly way of claiming to be a
> certain size, and is blatantly misleading.

The most useful measure would be "how many active accounts do you
have", where active equals "has logged on during the last 30 days".

And even then you need to be sure these accounts are paying accounts
somehow.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)