Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Tue Feb 4 13:19:43 CET 2003

[ Marian Griffith ]

> However, it is why I think that attempting to mix both roleplayers
> and roll players on the same game is likely to run into the
> tailor's dilemma.  It also is a potential problem for Star
> Wars:Galaxies that if I understand correctly, plans to emphasise
> non-combat oriented roles for players.  They are creating
> thousands of tailors, but I do not know if they provided ways to
> protect them from those who will play quake in the same setting...

It depends if SOE implemented the standard trappings of
civilization, of which police protection and available markets are
most applicable here.  If the tailor can purchase raw materials and
sell finished product in reasonable safety, then IMHO that presents
a solid foundation for viable crafting classes. The tailor can then
work to create an enclave of like-minded players to improve his
roleplaying experience. Powergamers will still be present, and the
roleplayers will need to work around them.

I liken it to being an Orthodox Jewish tailor in New York City
versus Khandahar. Sure, in NYC you might have to deal with crime,
poverty, and gentile types that insist on consuming pork and driving
on Friday nights, but Afghanistan is downright lethal. ;)

It all depends on how badly roleplayers want to participate in a
game that's not solely dedicated to their playstyle.

-Marc