[MUD-Dev] NWN gets more MUD-like (again)

Robert Zubek rob at cs.northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 4 17:01:54 CET 2003

From: Sean Kelly [mailto:sean at ffwd.cx]

> All in all, getting real DB support in NWN is going to allow for
> some amazing things.  Especially since some SQL servers can run
> external code as stored procdedures.  Oh, the possibilities...

Aside from persistent storage, this method also opens the
possibility of general communication with systems external to the
game. Case in point, I already used it to hook up my LISP-based
social interaction engine to control an avatar in the game. :)
Granted, ODBC isn't the cheapest way of going about interprocess
communication, but it will do until they release the source, at
which point I'll be able to write a proper LISP-NWN interface... :)

Rob

--
Robert Zubek
http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~rob