[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Feb 4 17:18:09 CET 2003

From: "Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com>

> Accounts lost might not be the best measure of impact: after all,
> I'd wager that most people lock themselves into 6 month or 1 year
> contracts after an initial tryout period.  Hence those accounts
> lost because of competition drop off the scope over a 1 year
> period, hiding the effect.

Comparatively few take the 6 month contract, and the 3-months have
mostly come due by now.  Also, the system flags someone who has
cancelled but not yet hit their billing date, so I can project
forward for those who deliberately cancel.

> A better, more reflective measure might be account activity.  That
> is, how many accounts have seen a drastic decline in playtime
> since XX game came out?  This is of course assuming that players
> will tend to dedicate their online time towards one game.

Account activity, playtime, and peak loads are up slightly since the
launch of those two.  Not just for new accounts since Shrouded
Isles, but for all accounts.  We're actually up significantly in
total accounts since the launch of those games because of a bounce
from SI, but I can separate that out.

--Dave