Random? Numbers (was:RE: Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Req uire ments for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers)))

adam ceo at grexengine.com
Tue Feb 4 23:50:15 CET 2003

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> How does one measure peity? Perhaps they payment of a tithe and
> never killing certain creatures considered in alignment with the
> god. Seems to me that this might be dangerous ground to tread on
> though, players may well feel they have to obey those rules, but
> probably resent them every moment they do. Whilst I don't agree
> with over trivialising games to pamper players, building in what
> may be an inherently unfun mechanic concerns me.

Ideas nicked from Omega...

Evil/Chaotic gods:

   - speaking to people and attacking them during the conversation

   - threatening someone (similar to Charm spells) and then killing
   them

   - killing anything which follows a "good" or neutral god

   - breaking anything

   - wanton use of powerful spells - e.g. profligate use of anything
   destructive on inanimate objects

   - ....generally very easy to think of things in a similar vein

   - killing anything that is massively lower level than you
   (i.e. unfair combat)

Good/Lawful gods:

   - attempting to talk to everything before attacking it, even if
   this means you go down in a hail of arrows before you even get to
   attack

   - giving items away (only counts if what you give away is of
   item-level similar to your character-level)

   - feeding creatures!

   - ...generally harder to come up with valid actions in a typical
   CRPG

FWVLIW, Omega's handling of this actually made the game very
interesting, compared to "standard" roguelike games. There was real
challenge in following a good god (and various rewards -
Ultra-powerful evil players, whilst being almost invulnerable, would
attract such hatred from the good/lawful peoples that effectively
they were unable to visit the cities - the only place where they
could perform any guild actions).

Adam M