[MUD-Dev] Cultural impact on Muds (was: Star Wars Galaxies)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Feb 5 16:56:26 CET 2003

From: "P S" <ps733 at hotmail.com>

> When I see that I just think "Great, someone stereotyping
> Americans as stereotyping others"

Don't we? I mean, stereotypes *do* exist for a reason.

> First of all, the Xbox failed to succeed in Japan only because the
> PS2 was launched there so far in advance.

I disagree. The Xbox is big and ugly. It looks like an engine
block. If you'll recall, the Japanese market HATED the controller
because it was so freaking huge. In America, bigger is better; it
represents power and strength, which are nice things to have in a
game platform. In other cultures, it more often represents crudity
and inefficiency, which are hardly desirable qualities.