[MUD-Dev] Secondary characters as a mechanic

Serafina Pechan daralassa at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 00:13:24 CET 2003

From:"Brian Hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com>

> Along with the standard "bigger stats, skills and stuff" reward
> system, how about augmenting it with more simultaneous characters?

I like the entire concept of controlling simultaneous characters. I
think it is a lot of fun and would work well in a lot of
games. However, regardless of whether someone thinks it is a good
gameplay mechanic or not, I think most companies will opt against it
for financial reasons.

Many players simulate simultaneous characters by operating more than
one account at a time.  If you allow a player to control
simultaneous characters (not just pets, but characters), then it
reduces the advantage a player gains by purchasing additional
accounts.  The financial reality is that those additional accounts
represent a decent percentage of subscription revenue.  I don't see
too many companies willing to mess with that revenue stream unless
they start charging for the option to have simultaneous characters.

Serafina