[MUD-Dev] Cultural impact on Muds (was: Star Wars Galaxies)

Eric Hu eric at ttic.com.tw
Mon Feb 10 14:13:47 CET 2003

On 31 Jan 2003 09:57:42 -0800
Jacob Cord <jacobc at chiefarchitect.com> wrote:

> I think the biggest problem is understanding the cultural
> differences.  It's difficult for someone to really understand a
> culture they are not familiar with, and have never been exposed
> to.  Research will get you some information, both books and
> "market research", but to get a finger on the pulse of a culture,
> nothing short of first-hand experience is required.  The question
> is time and resources, and perhaps raw numbers. Do we spend
> significant time learning about a culture that may be only 5% of
> our projected audience, or put those resources in to other areas?
> If developers invest lots of time understanding, say, the Korean
> game market, sure, they may turn out a game that will be
> interesting to the average Korean gamer, but what percentage
> overall will the Korean gamer be in the full population of the
> game?

I agree what you said completely. :)

If my words offend anyone, I appology sincerely. What I want to
express is -- We don't need to understand every cultures of our
lovely earth, and no need to apply more than one culture in a
game. It is a game, and we are not gods. But declaim and ignore
another culture of human being? It makes me feel so sad.

>> their days and nights there. Take another example, the 3rd large
>> MMORPG in Taiwan-- background something like the movie Crouch
>> tiger, Hidden dragon -- has more than 4.5 millions players in
>> China, Taiwan, and Korea.

> This sounds like something I may be interested in, what is it?

I would like to show it for you, but this game even has no english
name.  In fact, it doesn't need a english name. You have idea how
local it is now. Anyway, this local market has more peoples than USA
and Euro. This MMORPG based on the fictions of Chin-Yong -- the most
famous author in Chinese culture area(China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and
Singapore).

Even these designers of so-huge-local-market, dare not said 'no need
to care' about the culture of Japan, Korea, USA, UK or any countries
in the world.

> Did that make sense?

I cannot agree you any more, dear Jacob. :)