[MUD-Dev] Secondary characters as a mechanic

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Tue Feb 11 11:15:03 CET 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:05:31 -0800, Ted L. Chen wrote:

> At least to me, the arch prototype for this idea would be
> something along the lines of a multiplayer Jagged Alliance.

Or Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.

> in a MMOG.  In fact, it could almost reduce the multiplayer
> interactions to a minimum (of which I'm a strong proponent).

This is something I've seen used as an objectionable quality, but I
don't think it has to be.  For starters, you would have minimal
self-sufficiency -- enough that you're not always stuck, but not so
much that you're an army.

If you enforce level disparity, then the skills of your 14th level
warrior would not be efficiently augmented by those of your 7th
level mage.  If you allowed closer level deltas, then yeah, this
could be a problem -- but you could always just throw more and
bigger monsters at the player =)

> Another neat thing made possible with multiple party members is
> that your system can kill one or two off permanently.  This way,
> you gain the emotional repercussions of death without actually
> having your player to start over again.

Exactly, I just mentioned this in another e-mail.

Brian