[MUD-Dev] NWN gets more MUD-like (again)

Rob Bartel rob at bioware.com
Tue Feb 11 11:25:37 CET 2003

On Friday, February 07, David Smith wrote:

> Bioware could do a few things to thwart this method of IPC.

>  1. They could store string data written by the scripting system
>  non-continuously.

>  2. They could aggressively re-allocate storage for variables in
>  use by the scripting system.

>  3. They could encrypt the storage in use by the scripting system.

> I think all these methods would increase overhead within the
> Neverwinter Nights scripting system intollerably; hopefully,
> Bioware's not interested enough in thwarting user-extension to do
> so.

Don't worry, at this point we have no reason to deliberately thwart
user-extensions to NWN. They extend and enhance the lifespan of our
product which is ultimately what NWN is all about. We are pursuing
our own plans for a database system that's integrated directly into
our scripting language but external systems may better meet the
needs of some of our more advanced users such as yourself (we're
targeting the broader demographic that's looking for a clean and
easy way to transfer information from module A to module B within a
multi-module campaign).

Best of luck,
Rob Bartel, Creator of "The Witch's Wake"
BioWare Community Live Team