[MUD-Dev] Secondary characters as a mechanic

Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Wed Feb 12 10:51:36 CET 2003

Brian Hook wrote:

> One other thing to consider is that you can install a pseudo
> permadeath.  If you have a party of characters, then you can
> permakill one character without ending the play experience.  In
> fact it's possible that the player's party is composed of entirely
> different individuals a year after he starts playing.

I ran a once that did something similar to this. The player
controlled a 'soul' which could possess any mob of equal or lesser
level. Players would fight over specific mobs to possess and some
would get stuck with a duck or a weasel. If a the host mob died, the
soul would be transported back to a starting point and would have to
claim a new body then go reclaim equipment. This made for some
hilarious situations. A dragon dies attacking a town and a duck
returns to reclaim equipment. Basically, it just increased the risk
of death by increasing the time period of death.

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu