[MUD-Dev] Cultural impact on Muds

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Feb 13 05:25:12 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Dave Rickey wrote:

> I'm not going to say this is rooted in the individualism of
> Americans or any stereotypical urge to collective behaviour in
> Asia, the simple difference in the real-space environments each
> plays in is enough to account for it.

I won't say whom, but I was having lunch with an American who worked
for a Korean games company for a number of years the other day, and
he/she said it was precisely the individualism vs. collective
behavior. He/she cited how when he/she would get invited to do
things while in Korea with his/her co-workers, it was always in huge
groups, for instance. He/she also found it fascinating that even
though there was no formal organization to these groups, people
tended to fall into leadership roles on an ad hoc basis much more
smoothly than tends to be the case in the west. Anyway, it was
interesting.

--matt