[MUD-Dev] Justification for audit trails in guilds?

Damion Schubert damion at zenofdesign.com
Sat Feb 15 20:12:59 CET 2003

From: Rudy Fink

>  I found this incident incredibly disturbing.  In hindsight it is
>  not terribly surprising given the strong lure of easy money (30 k
>  U.S. is "real" money imo) and the low risks of being caught, but
>  I felt the surprise and risk made it an issue to be considered.
>  Most MMORPG guilds have strong insentives to pool property for
>  common benefit, but audit and accountability of that property is
>  generally rather lacking.

I had never considered the eBay angle before, but I know that scams
like this are as old as time itself.  In Meridian 59, a guild formed
up, got to a huge size, and then at 4 AM, the guildmaster disbanded
the guild, looted the guild hall, and gave everything to a co-
conspirator.  He then destroyed the character, covering his tracks
as the case may be.

This is, incidentally, just the sort of thing that we usually fail
to cover in our Terms of Service. =) In the case of Meridian, the
company wouldn't get involved, but the community was small enough
that the truth wormed its way out.  I suspect it's a lot easier to
get away with such things in larger games that offer more anonymity.

I, for one, found the incident hilarious, which I suspect says not
nice things about me.

--d