[MUD-Dev] Protecting the Player's Suspension of Disbelief

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Sun Feb 16 23:43:11 CET 2003

[ Damion Schubert ]

> Put shorter, NOTHING breaks immersion more than getting your
> player royally pissed off at the game.  Pissed off at an NPC, a
> player, or in-game system is one thing, but when a player sits
> back and wonders why he's playing, you've lost him.

I completely agree. Immersion for me isn't as much about
higher-level features like elaborate environments and
character-driven storylines than it is about NOT BUNGLING the
low-level experiences of the player. There's nothing like
encountering an implausibly impassible three-foot-high wall (usually
separating me from some tantalizing content) to pull me right out of
a game. My motto: if it's supposed to be impassable then make it
LOOK impassable! =P

-Marc