[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG Server design

Thomas Tomiczek t.tomiczek at thona-consulting.com
Wed Feb 19 10:00:49 CET 2003

From: Weston Fryatt [mailto:wfryatt at muuf.com]

> I'm leaning towards the Redundant Server idea, But is this the
> best idea?

Work with frontend proxies - users log in into a "communication
proxy" that handles them then (even when they change servers in the
backend).  This can hold a lot of logic, validating user input etc.,
handles encryption of traffic and all the other stuff.

On the backend I would go for muktiple tiers - a database
persistence tier, and logic servers in front of them, which are
handling "action zones" - these CAN be "geographical zones", but
also "functional zones", like a chat server, maybe an economy server
etc.

The important think is that the comm. Proxy in front will create ONE
login point for the user. The user basically logs in on a login
server and gets assigned a proxy which is valid for him until he
logs off.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.