[MUD-Dev] Perl - SOAP/XML - Slow?

Tom Sullivan one4k4 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 05:03:01 CET 2003

Of course it's slow.  That's a given.  I'm currently working on a
project to help further my knowledge of advanced OOP Perl styles, DB
work, module loading, things like that.

I decided that communication to the engine would be a good
application for SOAP::Lite/XML.

I decided this knowing full well that it's sort of slow, depending
on many issues.  I don't expect my MUD to get many people interested
in it.

But one thing I do like, and haven't seen before, is that I've
gotten the Net::AIM modules to work well with SOAP::Lite and now
I've got a text-based client using AIM.  So the aim-bot is basically
a proxy to the engine.

I only like this idea because it gives me something to do while I'm
at work and everything else in the firewall is blocked. ;)

My question is twofold.  Has anybody seen a MUD written to use AIM
as a text based client?  And has anybody seen a MUD that uses SOAP
as it's only communications layer?

The "slow" part comes from message transfer, imho.  And, I actually
rewrote the AIM bot to use pure OOP and not SOAP as they're on the
same box anyway.  But the SOAP layer is still there for say, a flash
front end...

Every client needs to continously "poll" the server by sending an
envelope every $x number of seconds to get any messages for that
client.

Security concerns aside, this method is kind of slow, which is the
single downside I can see with using SOAP.

Any thoughts?  Am I crazy?

I'll go back to reading archives, and the 30 other messages in my
inbox now. ;0)

Thanks guys,

-Tom
-https://sourceforge.net/projects/smud