[MUD-Dev] Perl - SOAP/XML - Slow?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 20 17:59:36 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:03:01 -0800 (PST)
Tom Sullivan <one4k4 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My question is twofold.  Has anybody seen a MUD written to use AIM as
> a text based client?  And has anybody seen a MUD that uses SOAP as
> it's only communications layer?

Nope, tho you have me interested.  I've been looking more at using
XML/RPC and tieing inter Jabber (I like Jabber, don't like SOAP, and
have little fondness for closed protocol stacks (AOL regularly
blocks/disconnects non-AOL servers from messaging AOL AIM users)).

> The "slow" part comes from message transfer, imho.

TCP RTT is a killer.

> Every client needs to continously "poll" the server by sending an
> envelope every $x number of seconds to get any messages for that
> client.

IIRC (its been more than a year) one of the things that the Jabber
protocol allows for is persistent bi-directional connections.  AIR the
OSS source base doesn't support it, but its allowed in the spec and its
one of the primary performance gains from buying/using jabber.com's
commercial implementation.

--
J C Lawrence